Saturday, January 19, 2013

Vibram® Hong Kong 100 Ultra Trail® Race 2013

Inexperience, Kiasuism, Fun and Curiosity were the running traits I took on with me along this race. These were important traits to ensure that my mind wasn't on the 100km, but on the food, the scenery and excuses of not finishing. The goal was to eat my money's worth paid for the participation fee. The first 50k of the race was all dedicated to eating and eat, I had to try everything available. Those that were good, I went for seconds. At checkpoint 3, I even went for thirds when some of the food were replenished. I mean these were yummy and freshly cooked. I had to eat them even though I was already leaving the checkpoint. 5 more minutes and I was off.

At support point - East Dam, we waited for friends and tried to re-group. Up till here, the route was jam packed. Couldn't go fast, couldn't go slow. Just 6min+ pace.

I spent 15-20mins eating at checkpoint 1, 2, 3, 4 and at CP3 - Hoi Ha, 25min trying to sneak into and out of the female toilet without detection to shit because the men's was clogged.


At about 48k, I started to feel nauseous and with each stride, I felt the food in me coming to live. They were struggling to escape. It was mee, rice, sandwiches, soup, chocs, cookies, swiss rolls, fruits, etc from CP 1, 2, 3, 4 back for revenge.

At 50k, I had no choice but to stop and lie on a huge rock beside the path. Every 20th person that passed, there was a question of concern and an irritable reply from me. Imagine the number of times I had to say OK, even though I was like 'not ok, but please don't ask anymore... aaarrrgghhh'. After 20minutes, I knew I had to reach the midpoint to really get a good rest. I did a 'hold my puke' wobble for 2k to CP5 - Kei Ling Ha (52k) in 09:37:38.

Reaching the midpoint, I puked whatever I could out. It was pleasant! It was now time to rest and it was enough reason to DNF. I puked, so I was sick, so I could quit. Nope, not alone though. I was gonna wait for a much faster friend who happened to be injured but still insisted on doing the race, walking. If quitting, I was gonna quit with him, it was more excuse that way.

Wait, I waited and waited. All 6h plus of it. Wrong move. It was getting colder and I couldn't sleep anymore. Out came the emergency blanket and I moved to the stone steps coming into CP5, just in case I missed YMT. YMT came, mentioned that I was crazy to quit and if he wasn't injured, why come all the way here to DNF. I wasn't physically exhausted so, carrying on or not was just a simple decision and I was walking my way with YMT and a new known friend called WJ. After maybe 20-30 mins of walking, I just couldn't be slow any more. It was freezing you know and I quietly took off from YMT and WJ.

It was awesome the moment I warmed up. I am not sure where, but I had to run on the ridge of some mountain and it was open and crazy windy, awesome city lights.

After this, I reached ShaTin pass and went down the hill to climb back up all the way again as I had missed a turn, wasting 25min. Another giving up point, but I told myself that I should have given up at 52k instead. After CP5, it was discipline. Eat cup noodles at all CP and leave within 10mins. I maintained a good pace and very quickly I was at my last checkpoint. I took a look at the time which I hadn't done for quite some time and remembered a friend that took part last year mentioned a silver medal for 18h and gold for below 16. She got bronze for her 22h and I guess that bronze was for sub 24h.

For the first time in the race, I had a goal. I was gonna devour Tai Mo Shan. Jogged the ups and even sprinted down the last stretch doing a 4min or even below pace for the last 3-4k, with limited vision due to the fog.

Like a lot of ultra-running experiences being shared, I will count myself as an ultra runner, because of my conscious and continuous effort during runs to push negativity all the way to the back of my mind and just focusing on completing my race. All these can only be said due to a confidence of a race finish.

23:48:48                  Chip Time
01:36:32   Support Point/East Dam (11k)
04:11:07   CP2 - Wong Shek (28k)
05:33:22   CP3 - Hoi Ha (36k)      
09:37:38   CP5 - Kei Ling Ha (52k)
16:56:51   CP6 - Gilwell Camp (65k)
19:15:27   CP7 - Beacon Hill (73k)
20:46:05   CP8 - Shing Mun Dam (83k)
22:18:31   CP9 - Lead Mine Pass (90k)

Ran the first 52k in Mizuno Wave Amulet 3. Not a trail shoe, but was a pacy right choice for this race. Did the 2nd half in Asics 'Blue Army Shoe', which was a good comfortable run. With the cold weather a relaxed pace, I guess there was not much feet swell and hence I did not feel any discomfort throughout.

I use all my shoes without insoles until when they are 3/4 way through their lifespan, when the soles are quite worn, cushion flatens and the toebox gets roomier.

Brought along trekking poles, which I kept with the halfway point dropbag just in case, but decided not to use them since I was ok. Anyway did not train with em.

For this race, gels weren't necessary as there is more than enough food at checkpoints which were not too far apart. I brought them along, but didn't use.

I was running quite alot till SCMS 2012 and the rest of December was a NZ trip with only one 10k Lake Hayes Race in NZ. In January before the Ultra, I continued on my training schedule before my NZ trip:

Mon: 30k ECP
Tue: 10k steady
Wed: CBD Mizuno Circuits and occasional 2h Futsal thereafter
Thu: 20 X 10 storey sprints. (43s-53s/set, 2 steps a time up. Walk down at 2 steps a time)
Fri: Usually rest, but with the occasianal 2h Futsal games
Sat: 30k MR
Sun: 8-10 chillax soccer followed by a field game in the afternoon or evenings

Tapered on last week with probably one 10k tempo and 2 lung bursting 5ks from Mon-Wed. 3 days before race, sedentary.


-----------------------------------------------------------------

Training to climb stairs 2-3steps at a time both up and down alot will definitely aid you especially at the end where it was a real pain and strain to just leap off the very high steps when going down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment